- Rich Rodriguez isn’t a fan of the atmosphere at Michigan Stadium, as he thinks it can be much louder and rowdier. I do not disagree with him, but it sort of seems like some of the things that may be on the docket to improve the atmosphere will come off as cheesy, such as more piped-in music or other stuff you would find at a minor league baseball game.
I’m all for improving the atmosphere, but there are ways to do that without going down the minor league baseball route.One way to greatly improve the atmosphere, for example, would be to have a night game. It probably would be the loudest crowd in Michigan Stadium history since people would have all day to tailgate and drink, and in general night games produce more excitement. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like night games will happen any time soon, as security apparently is an issue due to a lack of lights in parking lots around the stadium.
The easy solution to fix that problem is to add temporary lights to the parking lots. That wouldn’t come cheap, but this is where the TV network comes in. I would bet that ESPN would love to hype the first night game in Michigan Stadium history, so you tell them the only way that will happen is with temporary lights in the parking lots and give them the bill for it. If they don’t want to pay, then there will continue to be no night games at Michigan Stadium. I’d be willing to bet ESPN wouldn’t mind footing the bill, though. They are all about hyping things up, and if it was for the Notre Dame game, for example, ABC would have its primetime game for that week.
- If you haven’t received them already, check your mailbox, because football season tickets have arrived for many.
- Lloyd Carr’s outlook for this coming season is optimistic.
- Michigan’s athletic department brought in the fourth-most revenue in the entire country, coming in with just under $100 million.
- Cass Tech’s Dior Mathis recently released his current list of schools, and Michigan came in fifth. Oregon and Michigan State are at the top of his list, and it doesn’t seem like he has a ton of interest in the Wolverines anymore. Obviously things could change once the season gets here, especially with so many former teammates on Michigan, but right now the Wolverines are a little out of the picture it seems like.
- Maize n Brew recapped what Zoltan Mesko had to say at Big Ten Media Day.
- Bo Schembechler came in 36th place in the Sporting News’ list of the greatest coaches of all time.
- EDSBS put together a hilarious look at Rich Rodriguez and Jamie Foxx meeting in Chicago earlier this week, topped off by this LSUfreek-produced masterpiece (referencing Foxx’s song Blame It):
- UMGoBlog found a Michigan-styled ice cream truck with tons of autographs on it in a junkyard. Talk about a random collectible to find.