Monday Quick Hits: Early Forecast Looks Good for Spring Game

By · Monday, April 6, 2009 · 12:05 AM |  Share | 23 Comments
  • Louie Caporusso was named the hockey team’s MVP at its awards banquet on Saturday. Chris Summers was named the captain of next season’s team at the banquet as well. Alternate captains will be announced in the fall.
  • Unlike the weather in Michigan today (April snowstorms are just so much fun), the early forecast for Saturday’s spring game looks pretty good. Right now it is supposed to be a high of 51, sunny, and a 0% chance of precipitation. If Michigan is going to hit its goal of having 40,000 people at the game, the weather will have to be good. If the forecast turns out to be accurate, you can’t ask for much nicer weather than that.
  • The final list of alumni flag football game participants isn’t out yet, but here are seven more names to add to it:

Zia Combs – CB, 2001-02
    Mike Evans – DT, 1988-91
    Phil Webb – RB, 1985-87
    Clint Copenhaver – LB, 1995-98
    Markus Curry – CB, 2002-04
    Allen Jefferson – RB,1987-90
    Brandon Williams – CB, 1999-2002

• Artis Chambers, who left the football team after the season, is transferring to Ball State.
  • Michigan released a promotional video for 2009-10 basketball season tickets.
  • Devin Gardner’s announcement press conference can be viewed for free on GBW.
  • The Michigan men’s gymnastics team won a share of the Big Ten championship.
  • Michigan Football Saturdays has a rundown of the 2009 spring media guide.
  • Remember Justin Siller, Purdue’s third-string quarterback who lit up Michigan’s defense last season? Well, he has been dismissed from the school for violating academic policy. If he wants, he could return after the 2009-10 academic year.
  • If this story about Michigan fans cheering for MSU describes you, then please don’t call yourself a Michigan fan anymore. The amount of Michigan “fans” cheering for MSU makes me sick. Do you think Michigan State fans would cheer for Michigan if we were in opposite places? There is no way they would. Mark Dantonio needed Michigan to beat Ohio State for MSU to have any shot at the Rose Bowl. You know what his response was when asked about the game? “Go Bucks.” Tonight, Go Heels.

Wow, Zia Combs eh? He had a career-ending neck injury at the big house.

come on now, why shouldn’t michigan fans cheers for little brother? just because if the roles were reversed, they wouldn’t cheer for us? so what? isn’t a little childish to hold a grudge for that reason alone? little brothers are immature, so it’s natural that they wouldn’t root for us in the big game. but we’re wiser so we should set aside these petty eye-for-an-eye tactics just for this one night. lets be the bigger persons today and give them a lesson on cordiality (like the million other life lessons we’ve given them). the way i see it, they’d never even be here without us to push them for all these years.

so tonight, i’m going to be the bigger person. i’m rooting for the big ten conference, the city of detroit, the state of michigan, and the ensuing riots that will set back east lansing another 10 years.

get em little brother. make us proud.

3. Sean says:

I won’t root for them because they are Michigan State. It’s not about being the bigger person. I hate them and want them to lose every game in every sport. Did you root for Ohio State in the national title games too because they are in the Big Ten? Who the hell cares about the conference.

well that’s where we differ because I believe that conference is important. i know i won’t change your mind on this, but at least allow me the opportunity to explain the perspective of a UM fan who’s cheering for Sparty tonight.

a secondary selling point of almost any recruitment is conference prestige. it’s the ability of the Purdue coach to tell a young kid, “hey come play for me and you’ll have the chance to compete with the michigans, the michigan states, and the iowas of the world.”

i understand your abhorrence of a rival team, but in my mind the michigan state rivalry isn’t rooted in the same levels of disgust and disdain as the ohio state one. this really makes all the difference in our perspectives on tonight’s outcome. there is only one ohio state and i, more than anyone, advocate a controlled burn of their “state,” if you can even call it that. i think we’d be better off without them. the thugeyes lie, cheat, and steal to get by.

tom izzo, on the other hand, wins the right way. if we don’t like the fact that he beats us, then we need to step our recruiting, coaching, fan support, or whatever else it takes to whoop his behind. for whatever reason, i can’t hate him as much i hate everything ohio. regardless of what that idiot mark dantonio thinks or says, i’d easily root for msu over ohio state every time (unless michigan’s interests dictate otherwise).

i digress for a minute. i live in the south now, where i watched the national championship football game amongst LSU fans cheering for florida. you think they don’t hate florida 364 days of the year?

i can tell you for a fact that, while you may not care, the kids in the local high schools and middle schools can be influenced by conference prestige. around here, they grow up hearing about the histories and traditions of SEC and Big 12 football. they know about the north carolinas and the dukes. this matters to them. this influences them.

you don’t care about the conference because your allegiance has been to michigan since day 1. it’s michigan or bust for you. i understand that because i too have been a michigan man from day 1. it’s always been about michigan and not the big ten. i became a michigan man because i had family roots in the university, so it was an easy choice for me.

understand, however, that there are young athletes out there who may not be particularly attached to any one school, and can be influenced in a variety of ways, e.g., a coach, a conference, word of mouth, etc. their perspective is different than ours because their allegiance wasn’t formed at birth. maybe their parents didn’t go to college, or they may never have thought about going to college. Or perhaps they just want a university to help them develop their skills against the best competition in the hopes of someday going pro. from this perspective it’s not michigan (or any one team) or bust, but a combination of factors that can lead a kid to a school, and conference prestige can play a significant role in that.

i can’t apologize for respecting tom izzo or what he’s been able to accomplish throughout his tenure at michigan state. yes, i want michigan to whoop state’s behind each time we play, but i don’t equate michigan state’s success in the NCAA tournament with michigan’s failure. i see michigan state’s success as raising the bar for the rest of us.

john beilein can hit the recruiting trail and tell these kids that if they come to michigan, they’ll have a chance to play with and against the best in the nation. that’s a huge selling point to lure in talent. if unc wins tonight, then unc and duke will have cornered that market again, and everyone hates them.

so the next time i have to face an annoying michigan state fan that tries to rub this in my face, i’ll just respond by saying “congratulations, i rooted for you.” i’ll try to explain but i’m sure it’ll go way over their head. hopefully the look on their face will make it well worth it.

I’ll root for whoever I want to root for. I’m getting sick of people telling me I’m not a real Michigan fan because I’m rooting for MSU.

If it was football, I would never root for them because I can’t stand Dantonio. However, I have a lot of respect for Izzo and the way their basketball program is run, and I can’t stand UNC.

To the other anonymous posters above: you are absolutely right. This Michigan fan will be rooting hard for MSU tonight. Whether they would do the same if the roles were reversed is immaterial. (Since when do Spartan standards equate to Wolverine standards?) State is representing the Big Ten against the ACC. And Izzo deserves a lot of respect for his accomplishments at State.

And, yes, I was rooting for Ohio State in those national championship games. It is a win-win situation: if they win, the Big Ten wins. And if they lose, you can still enjoy a good laugh courtesy of the Buckeyes.

So: go Sparty!!!

7. BenAA says:

As much as I dislike people who post anonymously, this poster has valid points.

Neither of you are wrong. Sean, he can root for whoever the fuck he wants to root for. You have the same privilege. It doesn’t make one of you more of a “Michigan Man”.

Like, the anon. poster, I am sick of this stupid argument. Lets move on.

Sean,
    I’m a big fan of your work on this blog, but on this point, you are dead wrong. If you’re a Michigan fan, you’re a Big 10 fan and support each the members of the conference against all non-conference foes. I’ve been rooting for MSU the whole tournament so far, as I did for Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois (and yes, even tOSU). A stronger Big 10 Conference makes each team stronger. That being said, I think there’s a huge difference between winning a few rounds in the NCAA tournament and winning a national championship. MSU has done well enough for me and the Big 10 conference this year. I don’t want to see them win another national title. Go Heels!

9. Blue Sky's says:

I agree. I am sick of people telling me that I am not a Michigan fan if I root for MSU during this run. Please. I don’t care what the MSU fan would do if the role was reversed. That’s just silly, if certain members of each fan base want to feel that way, then so bid. I am my own individual and I will act as such. And since when did MSU turn into Ohio St. on the rivalry scale?

If people want to cheer against MSU that’s fine, but don’t get all high and mighty and pull this “you are not a real UM fan if you do”. That’s B.S., at this point the state could use a nice shot in the arm. And despite the fact that I would much rather see UM in this position, I am fiercely loyal to my state, I have lived here my whole life, so I think I can put all that rivalry stuff aside for one evening and pull for the state of Michigan.

MSU is not in the same league as OSU and ND

I root for OSU and ND to lose every game in every sport. If you grew up in Michigan then chances are that half your friends from high school go to state. It’s absolutely a sibling rivalry, I want to beat them every time we play them otherwise it’s not a violation of my Michigan fanhood to wish them well.

11. timmerdm says:

There is no reason not to root for MSU. For Michigan students and fans, the MSU rivalry is more of a sub-rivalry compared to OSU and ND. Yes, MSU considers us their biggest and most hated rival, but we have never felt this way toward them, and there is no reason not to support a fellow Michigan school so long as they are not playing UM.

12. Sean says:

When you grow up in Michigan and with State fans, that isn’t true at all. Nationally OSU is a bigger rival with us. Locally it is MSU in the sense that you interact with State people on a daily basis. And ND is not a bigger rival than MSU. It is laughable to say so.

13. Mike says:

Damn, I guess I can’t be a Michigan fan anymore. What a waste of 28 years. I didn’t realize the Michigan fan police were going to get me. I thought I could root for whomever I wanted to.

Who would Bo root for?

Bo would root for MSU BBall. Who really cares. Izzo is a decent guy. He called Beilen for tips. Dantino or Tressel would never call Rich Rod for tips. I’m a Blue fan for life grew up in Livonia. I will root for MSU tonight.

16. Bruce says:

I’ll never root for the spartans. Even if it helps Michigan, because I don’t want those clowns saying that we needed them. Before you watch the game tonight, check out the UM/state football game from 2001. 5-4-3-2-1-1-1-1-1. Remember that? The clock game. I hope UNC wins by 50.

17. Chris in NC says:

As the resident North Carolina based Wolverine, I am torn as heck about this. I despise UNC basketball as much as I do OSU in football or Notre Dame in everything. Seriously, UNC fans have every bit the assholeness of buckeye fans. If they win, they let EVERYONE know it. It is also hard because the idiots here can’t tell the difference between UM and MSU. To them “we’re all f’ing Michigan”.

So either I cheer for MSU which is like cheering for Ted Bundy or Jeffery Dahmer or I cheer for UNC which is like cheering for Satan himself.

The lesser of the 2 evils in this case is probably MSU. So I’ll feel dirty doing it, but Go MSU… Ugh.

18. Nick says:

So I guess Lloyd Carr shouldn’t call himself a Michigan fan anymore…

I could give a f*!k about what Sean or anyone else thinks of my credibility as a Michigan fan.

I happen to choose to support the conference and the state of Michigan. I have no problem rooting for State, even if most State fans wouldn’t do the same if the situation was reversed. That just means that they they are insecure about their school with a (wel-deserved) inferiority complex. I have no insecurity about UofM and certainly no inferiority complex.

If you don’t want to root for MSU, that’s fine by me, but get off your pathetic (unearned) soap box in telling the rest of us that we aren’t Michigan fans if we do.

I’m loving this game and I can’t wait for tomorrow to rub this in the face of all the douchebag alleged Michigan fans who were cheering for state.

Sean, I think you may have shunned a few loyal readers. If you do not want to root for state, then that’s your choice. But to say that any michigan fan the cheers for state tonight is not a fan is absurd. I have been a die hard fan of michigan for many years, i even have a room in my house painted in maize and blue with the block M on the wall. If you ask whom I am cheering for, Michigan State. That does not make me any less of a fan of the Wolverines. I suggest you rethink your comment.

Why would we want M$U to win? So they have yet another thing they can preach to recruits when Tom Izzo enters their house??

23. Bruce says:

Great job UNC. Now all the recruits can see that Michigan is the school to go to. I don’t think Sean needs to rethink anything. I agree with him. I like the comment from earlier; Dahmer is State and Satan is UNC. But Satan takes sinners while Dahmer took everyone, even the innocent.