- Michigan will play UCLA next Thursday at 9 p.m. on ESPN2 in the semifinals of the 2K Sports Classic. It actually looked like Michigan’s opponent was going to be Miami (Ohio) at some points during UCLA’s 64-59 win over the RedHawks. Miami and UCLA exchanged the lead until the Bruins barely pulled away in the closing minutes. I was rooting for an upset since Miami seems like an easier opponent than UCLA, but then again, the Bruins showed that they are beatable with such a close game.
- Following the Michigan-Northwestern game tomorrow, the basketball team will scrimmage for 25 minutes and the public is welcome to watch. The scrimmage is a part of what is being called the “Garden Party,” which “will serve as a send-off for the Wolverines” prior to their departure for NYC. For full details, check out MGoBlue.com.
- The early signing period began for many sports earlier this week, including basketball and baseball. Starting first with men’s basketball, all four of Michigan’s commits signed their letters of intent. That means that Darius Morris, Matt Vogrich, Jordan Morgan, and Blake McLimans are now all officially Wolverines. John Beilein can now turn all of his attention toward the class of 2010.
- Moving on to women’s basketball, Kevin Borseth brought in six signees, three of whom are from the state of Michigan.
- The baseball team also added six recruits, and all of them are from the state of Michigan.
- Terrelle Pryor’s coach from high school is not a big fan of Charlie Weis.
“Arrogant as hell,” Reitz said.
When Reitz told Weis that Pryor might attend a USC quarterbacks camp, he remembers Weis replying: “Why send him there? If he’s with me for one day he’ll be good, two days he’ll be great and three days he’ll be incredible.”
When Weis visited Pryor’s school in 2007, Reitz recalled, he said that if Pryor couldn’t cut it at quarterback, “we’ll use him on the outside.”
No other school introduced the idea that Pryor might play receiver.
“Here’s the best part,” Reitz recalled. “He says to Terrelle: ‘Call me tomorrow at 6. I’ll be watching where Brady Quinn gets drafted.’ “
Perhaps arrogant isn’t the right word. I believe douchebag is a better description of Weis.