Mike Milano Suspended for Allegedly Assaulting Steve Kampfer

By · Wednesday, October 15, 2008 · 6:25 PM |  Share | 13 Comments

Walk-on running back Mike Milano has been suspended indefinitely for allegedly assaulting hockey defenseman Steve Kampfer. Kampfer was assaulted early Sunday morning and the rumor initially was that a wrestler or a football player was responsible for the attack. The reason there was some confusion over which sport the attacker played is because Milano is a former wrestler. He walked on to the football team in the spring of 2007 and received quite a bit of local press for making the move from wrestling to football.

The Michigan Daily has the details of the actual assault. The story itself is just sad in the sense that someone could be irresponsible enough to attack a person in the way he did, especially since Kampfer is rumored to be seriously injured from the incident.

According to the witness, Kampfer and an unidentified friend were walking southward on Church Street when three unknown males caught up to them just past the intersection with Willard Street.

The man walking with Kampfer turned around as the group approached and said something the witness could not hear.

The witness said two of the men walked past Kampfer and his friend, shoving them aside, and then the third picked up Kampfer and slammed him into the sidewalk. Kampfer’s friend yelled at the group, but the men continued walking south on Church Street, the witness said.

He said Kampfer wasn’t moving and appeared to be unconscious after the attack.

The witness described the person who hit Kampfer as a short, athletically built blonde male. He said the attacker was accompanied by two other men with athletic builds and blonde hair. All three were wearing jeans and black shirts that read “Get Wet” in red or orange on the back, according to the eyewitness.

Michigan Hockey Net reports that Kampfer cracked his skull and T1 vertebra, meaning that he obviously is going to be out for quite some time.

The source said he talked with Kampfer’s parents today and it will be six weeks minimum before his next review (NOT until he returns to the ice) and he could end up taking a redshirt and sitting out the season.

Obviously this is bad news for the hockey team, but that’s not really the concern right now. I’m more worried about Kampfer’s health considering the injuries he reportedly sustained are very serious. His return to the ice is really the least important thing at this point.

As far as Milano goes, he should be kicked off the team right now. I don’t care too much about due process; it sounds like enough witnesses saw the incident and all of them identified Milano as the attacker. It’s one thing to get in a scuffle, but to slam someone into the ground and put them in the hospital is something completely different, especially since Kampfer was allegedly attacked from behind. That is just an absolutely gutless thing to do, and I really hope Milano is off the team for good. The only big house he should ever step foot in again is one that holds a jail cell.

What’s with the “Get Wet” shirts?

I have known Mike Milano since I was in 6th grade and to even say that I am shocked about this article doesn’t even cover it. He was always such a nice guy.

In sixth grade I had a crush on him…everyone knew and I got made fun of for it because he was a popular sports guy and I was a book nerd. Yet, he was always nice about it.

We were at a school dance once and I shyly asked him to slow dance with me and he said yes. He could have been mean about it. He could have joked with his friends about it, but he was really nice about it.

As far as the “Get Wet” shirts go, every year in high school the seniors had a theme. I forgot the theme for the seniors that year, as he was a year ahead of me, but I do remember the “Get Wet” shirts. I guess his accomplices were also graduates from the high school.

I will keep Kampfer and his family in my thoughts. Once again I am baffled by this news.

Another case of a talented,spoiled,conceited kid who got away with a lot as a juvenile ie: rich daddy lawyer taking care of juniors business.I hope the spoiled punk does some time but Iam sure daddy Milano will try to weasle his little Mikey out of any wrong doing.

Dumbass

Yeah alcohol has that effect on people

Makes you wonder about the whole situation though, after the hockey game, Kampfer has now gotten 3 college athletes suspended. That cannot be called a coincidence for one individual to be involved in 2 seperate incidences with 3 athletes… What is the REAL story here?

Are you kidding me anon? Comparing the MSU thing to the off ice thing is apples and oranges.

I understand that they are different situations, I just find it odd that one person gets 3 athletes suspended in a short amount of time… That would be one hell of a coincidence there. Just my opinion though

It’s really not. The thing with Milano was simply a case of two people getting in an argument and violence resulting. The thing on ice was retribution for a hit on the person that ended up slashing him.

I can see both sides of this debate. While the on-ice and off-ice altercations are indeed apples to oranges, there is also the common element involved(that being Kampfer). Easy to see how someone can see the parallel there. But either way, coincedence or not, it’s a hell of a thing for one person to go through, so hopefully everything will turn out alright for him

Some of you people are idiots, Mike is an idiot, some people think he is gay, and he is a hardass, ive known him for years, I was his friend at one point but noticed that he might be gay, I think that he thought he was a tough kid, but he really isnt and had to do some cheap Sh** like that. Wow, whos tough now attacking someone from behind. Can he get a life.

I hope this bum gets precisely what he deserves, which is namely some prison time and permanent status as a felon. He’s a disgrace to this university.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...