Why Is Lloyd Carr in Syracuse?

By · Friday, September 26, 2008 · 5:06 PM |  Share | 14 Comments

What better way to end the week than with this little tidbit from the Syracuse blog Orange::44:

Hot off the Orange::44 tip line; Lloyd Carr is at Manley Field House right now. What is he there for? Who knows. My inside source with media credentials at Manley just knows he’s there, but not why or what is going on. It is certainly interesting.

The speculation over this is understandable, but I just can’t imagine that Carr would un-retire, especially this soon. And it’s not like he would be going to a program that is already successful. Syracuse is one of the worst football programs in the country right now, and I don’t see why Carr would want to undertake the responsibility of trying to re-build a program where he would have to start from scratch.

1. medals says:

He is probably friends with the ‘Cuse coach and just stopping by as a favor to observe practice, speak to the team, etc., etc. I think former coaches do this sort of thing all the time. (Right?)

2. Sean says:

Yeah, that’s probably all it is. Syracuse fans are likely hoping there’s more to it.

3. Brian Harrison says:

He was present at last weekend’s Northeastern game and was there today. The only connection he has with Syracuse is he knows some of the University Trustees. He is not friends with the current coach. That is where we are at right now.

4. Sean says:

Hmm, that’s interesting. Like I said, I would be shocked if anything developed from this, but who knows. Crazier things have happened…

5. Seer says:

I think he’s probably just trying to motivate the team to not suck. Didn’t he give a speech to a rugby team a year or two ago?

6. Brian Harrison says:

Considering Syracuse doesn’t have but a club rugby team I doubt it. I’m not saying anything will happen, but it is looking like Syracuse will be looking to fire Greg Robinson after this weekend. At least that is the word on the street.

7. Joey says:

Maybe Carr has spent his brief retirement mulling over the oft-spoken criticism that he was a program caretaker, not a program builder, and has decided that he’d like to try his hand at building something. In Syracuse, getting pwned by your chief rival and regularly losing big games is not a problem because the folks there would surely like to just be in a big game.

8. Hal says:

I was under the impression that part of the reason why Carr retired was for health reasons. If that is the case, I doubt if he will coach again.

this speculation is absolutely crazy…. first of all it is not Lloyd Carr’s style to come in and hang around trying to steal a job from a coach that is already there…secondly he just retired and it is not his style to give up on his free time that he is enjoying so easily…come on people you need to bring it more than this.. in know this is the internet but geeze.

10. Jason says:

As a former Orangeman and current Wolverine I am VERY excited about this news. I doubt he’ll take the job, but even if he just lends his clout to the Cuse AD that is a good sign. When I talk about Syracuse at Michigan the most common comment I get is “I didn’t know they had a football team”. Hopefully Carr can point Cuse in the right direction to avoid our continued plunge into the abyss of college football.

11. newmanea says:

maybe carr is looking to be the AD…wasn’t there speculation that he was looking for an administrative job? gross is clearly incompetent.

that would be a huge boost for the SU program.

12. James says:

The most logical explanation is that the Syracuse AD is seeking out Carr’s advice in the coaching search that obviously is going to happen after this year. Carr has been in college football a long time and knows just about everybody, and he’s a man of integrity. He’s a good voice to seek out.

And regarding Jason’s comment: no Michigan fan should pretend that Syracuse doesn’t have a football team. Not after the beating McNabb and Co. laid on us in 1998.

13. MikeOrangeman88 says:

Jason,

You are never a FORMER Orangeman, if you graduated from Syracuse. Its your Alma Mater and Michigan, regardless of your graduate program, is not your home. You will NEVER be a Wolverine. Sorry. Also, Michigan students may wish to remember that Syracuse handed Michigan their head back in 1998 when Donavan McNabb brought a glorious victory to the Orangemen in Michigan stadium itself.

MikeOrangeman,